A lot of overwatch players have reported that an error pop ups and says “Your rendering device has been lost! Application closing”. This overwatch error was big enough to acknowledge by AMD, Nvidia, Blizzard etc.
Don’t panic if you are getting this error. Follow the steps below to fix this error.
1. Check Background Applications
In this fix, you have to check some running applications in the background and see if they are working properly or not. Your CPU resources are shared by background applications.
In this scene overwatch is your foreground application.
1. Press both Windows + R and type in “taskmgr” in run dialog box and hit enter.
2. In the task manager tab go to processes tab and check all “extra” applications running.
3. End unnecessary applications running in the background. Ensure only overwatch is running. Then close the task manger and launch your game again.
Make sure you are not ending important backend services.
2. Reset frequency settings of hardware components.
Sometimes game crash due to oveclock GPU, CPU settings. Set GPU frequency/clock speed back to default and see if this can fix your error.
3. Updating Drivers
Sometimes overwatch error occurs due to corrupt drivers or expired chipset drivers. It is advised that you continuously update your system drivers.
Finding or updating drivers one by one is a very time-consuming process. But I will make it easier for you. Download Driver easy software. This software automatically detects drivers which need to be updated.
Follow the steps below to update your windows drivers –
1. Install driver easy software.
2. Open driver easy and click on Scan Now button. This software will automatically scan drivers which need to be updated.
3. Then drive easy will show you a list of drivers which needs to be updated. Update them one by one. If you want to Update all drivers in one time you have to buy their Pro version.
4. After installing all drivers restart your PC and check steam won’t open issue is solved or not.
4. Turning on “GPU” scaling.
This method works specifically for AMD graphics adapter.
Open AMD radeon settings and click on Display options. Then turn on the GPU scaling and run you game and see this methods works for you or not.
5. Enable Superfetch services.
Superfetch services is a component of Windows memory manager. If your superfetch is turned off you can’t play overwatch game. Make sure superfetch is enabled.
1. Press both Windows logo key + R and type in “services.msc” in run dialog box and hit enter.
2. The look for superfetch services and make sure it is enabled, if not right click on it and go to it’s properties.
3. Then change it’s setting from Manual to Automatic and then hit apply and click OK.